The 5 C’s
There are 5 important dimensions to consider when buying an engagement ring with a diamond in it. They are known in the industry as the “five Cs”.
Carat – A measure of a diamond’s size and more specifically weight. The larger the diamond the more rare and valuable holding everything else the same. Finding the right diamond size is a question of personal preference and budget. Keep in mind that once a diamond gets too big it can be burdensome to wear around all day.
Cut – The cut of a diamond determines how light passes through the diamond giving it it’s sparkle and brilliance. A diamond’s symmetry, polish, durability and proportions all determine how good the cut of the diamond is and how much it sparkles.
Color – In general the closer to colourless a diamond is the more rare and valuable it is. Diamonds are rated for colour based on a scale from D to Z, with D being colourless.
- D, E, F – colorless
- G, H, I, J – near colorless
- K, L, M – faint yellow or brown
- N, O, P, Q, R – very light yellow or brown
- S, T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z – light yellow or brown
Clarity – The fewer imperfections a diamond has the more valuable it is. Almost all diamonds have some sort of imperfections known as inclusions. Most inclusions are not visible to the naked eye and require magnification by an expert to even be seen.
Certification – When you buy a diamond engagement ring it should come with a diamond grading report or a diamond quality report to certify the authenticity, characteristics and value of the diamond. These certification reports are created by a professional gemologist who wouldSearch job? be trained to evaluate diamonds under a microscope and against industry standards.
Here is a video that explains theSearch job? first four dimensions
How do I find out what engagement ring style she likes?
You have a few options when it comes to figuring out what type of engagement ring style your lady will love and wear every day proudly.
- Ask her sister(s). If your lady has sisters this is your best bet. Likely they have been planning their dream wedding together since they were kids and know exactly what each other want in an engagement ring. Just make sure you can trust her sister to keep it a secret until you propose.
- Ask her best friend(s). Likely your second best bet as they too will likely have discussed marriage, the wedding and their ideal ring.
- Ask her mom. Who is likely to know her better than her mom?
- Check to see if she has a Pinterest account and has pinned any wedding rings. A long shot, but a goldmine if it exists.
- Checkout the style of rings she already wears. Are they plain and simple or extravagant and fancy? This could be a good indication of what she’d be comfortable wearing for an engagement ring as well.
- As a last resort, ask your lady what style of engagement ring she prefers. This can be dangerous territory especially if she points out the exact ring that she wants and it’s substantially above your budget. If you can try to get the information out of her in a sneaky way such that she isn’t suspicious
How do I find out her ring size?
The best way to determine her ring size is to find a ring she already wears on her ring or index finger and simply measure it. If it’s too risky to borrow her ring for a short while to measure ask her sister/friend/mother to borrow it for you.
You can also use this ring sizing chart from Bluenile which is pretty handy.
Should I buy the engagement ring online or at a jewelry store?
This all comes down to personal preferencePlease Donate our site as there are certainly
Buying an engagement ring online is a relatively new trend over the past decade. The main benefits of buying online is there tends to be more selection and you often are able to score a better deal. The downsides obviously are that you don’t get to hold the ring in advance and it can be a bit of a headache if the ring needs to be returned or re-sized, but often the cost savings out weight those risks I have found.
If I want to buy my engagement ring online where should I look?
Personally I recommend Bluenile.ca. Why?
- Prices are extremely reasonable and much cheaper than a lot of bricks and mortar jewelry stores. They even guarantee a price match on comparable GIA certified diamonds
- They have a wide selection of diamonds and settings for your ring.
- You can design your own ring down to each little detail or select from their pre-built rings.
- Their diamonds are authentically certified by the GIA and the AGSL. All diamonds come with a grading report from these worldwide respected grading labs that confirm each diamonds quality and characteristics. This way you’ll know what you are getting and what you’re paying for.
- Their diamonds are conflict free so you don’t have to feel guilty about where they came from or
- They offer free shipping with FedEx
- They offer a 30 day money back guarantee. This takes the risk out of buying online because you can always return it and get your money back if you made the wrong choice and it doesn’t feel right.
Best of luck in finding your perfect engagement ring for your lady.