Is that time of the year again. Tax season. I’d pretend that I don’t enjoy doing my taxes and optimizing my refund, but i’d be lying.
My go-to tax software is TurboTax by Intuit.
Why do I use TurboTax?
- It simple and easy to use. The user interface is beautiful
- Great at guiding you on the journey to maximizing your tax refund
- Your tax information from previous returns/years is carried forward from year to year.
- Your can directly import yourSearch job? tax forms.Search job?Search job? Who wantsSearch job? to input all that information manually?
- You can e-file, print and save at the end with no hassle.
- Comes with a guarantee for accuracy
- Available in both an online (browser based) version and desktop version. I prefer the online version myself.
- And… last but not least it’s inexpensive
Is there a free version of TurboTax?
Yes there is and you can use TurboTax for free if your tax return is straightforward and simple. That usually means only T4 forms for Canadians and W-2 forms for Americans to get away with the free version.
Your tax return is not simple and you’ll need to pay for TurboTax if your tax return involves…
- Stocks & investments
- Rental property
- Charitable donations
- Maximizing mortgagePlease Donate our sitePlease Donate our sitePlease Donate our site or propertyPlease Donate our site tax deductions
- Self employed business information
Tip: You can always start your tax return with TurboTax for free. If you hit a point where you need to enter in complex tax information it will ask you to upgrade and you can pay at that time (or not).
TurboTax promo codes or links
Here are some promo links that you can use to save a few bucks on TurboTax. You save and I earn a commission. Win-win.
Canada: Promo Link – Save 10% off TurboTax
US: Promo Link – Save 20% off TurboTax
Tip: You can also claim the cost of TurboTax software as a deduction on your return. Think of it as the government paying for your tax software.