Each year there are different deadlines for tax returns. For 2016 tax year they are as follows.
- February 20, 2017 – The earliest date to NETFILE your return
- March 1, 2017 – The last date to make a contribution to your RRSP
- April 30, 2017 – The due date for filing your return
Unlimited transit passes are claimable as a deduction. There is a benefit to riding the bus, subway or streetcar!
To manage your tax relationship with the Government the CRA offers a web portal service called MyAccount.
What can you do through MyAccount?
- Find out if you owe any taxes to the CRA (tax owing or refund owed)
- View your tax returns for prior years and carryover amounts
- Find out how much TFSA contribution room you have
- View information on your RRSPs, Home Buyers’ Plan, and Lifelong Learning Plan. This includes how much RRSP contribution room you have.
- View or apply for Universal Child Care Benefit payments, account balance, and statement of account
- View or apply for Canada Child Tax Benefit and related provincial and territorial programs payments, account balance, and statement of account
- View and apply for disability tax credits
- Update your direct deposit information
- Update your marital status
- Update your address and contact telephone number
- Disputing your tax assessment or determination